Records Management and the UT HSC Warehouse
Records that are stored in the warehouse must meet the following requirements:
- Only official state records listed on the UT HSC Records Retention Schedule may be sent to the warehouse. Books, journals, office supplies, etc., may not be stored in the warehouse due to space limitations.
- Only records with two years or more left on their retention periods will be accepted by the warehouse for storage.
- Boxes should only contain records with similar disposition (destruction) dates as warehouse staff cannot search through boxes to look for records that have met their retention requirements.
- All boxes must be marked with a disposition date, the date the records may be discarded.
- A General Services Storage Request form must be filled out and sent with the boxes to the warehouse.
- The Record Series Item Number or Agency Item Number (called ID number on the online Records Retention Schedule) and official retention period for the records must be listed on the General Services Storage Request form.
- Departments should use only approved record storage boxes when sending records to the warehouse. One option can be purchased through General Stores using item number 615037001. The warehouse will not accept records in oversized, incorrect, or damaged boxes.
- All departments should keep in mind that the warehouse is not climate controlled. Because of this, records that are permanent might not hold up under the extreme temperatures that can be generated in the warehouse. Departments might want to consider other options when storing permanent records.
The warehouse issues a Certificate of Destruction to departments after it destroys records belonging to that department. Certificates issued after May 22, 2006 may be used in lieu of filling out a Disposition Log if the department has provided the following information on the General Services Storage Request form for each box sent to the warehouse:
- Agency Item Number from the UT HSC RRS for the material in the box. (Example: 50 for 4.2.005 Purchase Vouchers. Requisitions, orders, receiving reports, invoices, or statements, change orders, etc.)
- Record Series Title from the UT HSC RRS for the material in the box. (Example: Purchase Vouchers, Requisitions, etc.). This may be up to 255 characters so you may include additional information to help identify the records.
- Date range of materials in box (Example: 9/1/2001 - 8/31/2002)
- Retention period for materials in box (Example: FE+3)
- Date material may be destroyed. (Example: 9/1/2008).
The information should be typed into the Description column of the General Services Storage Request form.